This is my very first post on my new blog and what better time to start than when I'm sitting on the couch, leg up in a brace. Oh yes, my first experience with knee surgery occurred last week at UCSF Medical Center.
This is me plopped on my parents' couch with my contraption consisting of a large brace from my mid thigh down to my ankle and an ice/cold unit (the most amazing invention for knee surgery patients); the product of an meniscus repair and ACL reconstruction. My days consist of bathroom runs (not really runs but rather slow hobbles), changing of the outfit, knee exercises, and endless reading and youtube watching. Cleanliness is a challenge and just yesterday I had my first successful hair wash (with the help of my mom). I felt like Meryl Streep in Out of Africa when Robert Redford washes her hair out in the wild in Africa, although we were in my parents' courtyard and I lacked a hunky male star as my hair dresser. Although my situation and couch rest can get quickly annoying, there are some definite benefits....
1. My knee is fixed!
2. Time for reflection and healing (mind and body)
3. Time for diving into other interests that I never allowed myself while I was working too many hours.
4. I'm especially grateful for all the help people have provided throughout this entire process. I have some amazing friends and a wonderful mom who have been there for me and continue to show and provide their support. You discover during times such as these who is really there for you and can be relied upon because you honestly just can't do the day-to-day by yourself. This has led to my first blogged observation...
[Observation #1]
Before I marry a man and before I say and receive the words "For better or for worse..." this must be put to the test! It's easy to be happy and lovey-dovey when both people can contribute, but when one person is immobile and unable to walk, how will the other handle making food, assisting his spouse with dressing, going to the bathroom, doing exercises, cleaning, etc. etc.? And not even whether he can and will do these tasks, but will he do them with a smile on his face?
Happy first day of summer! Until next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment